Lemon water is great for boosting your immune system and cleaning out harmful toxins.
Ginger Lemon Detox Water
For this recipe, you need about 2 cups of warm water, the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 inch of fresh ginger root.
Simply pour warm water over the grated ginger, let steep for about 5 minutes then add lemon juice and Stevia to taste.
Cucumber Lemon Detox Water
To make this one, just mix about eight cups of filtered water with a medium cucumber (wedged or sliced), a whole lemon (wedged or sliced) and about 8 to 10 mint leaves.
Mix in a large pitcher and leave to steep overnight in the fridge.
Health Benefits of Lemon Water that you may not have known.
We all know or have been told that drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is especially good for cleansing the liver and to kick start our digestive system, and it is completely true, but lemon water does much more than that, lemons are also a good source of citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium.
• Kickstart digestion – Lemon juice encourages healthy digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract and get thing moving. Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning gets your digestion system ready for the day.
• Balances pH – Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized, so, you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity.
• Good for stomach – Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. These include nausea, heartburn and parasites. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently. Lemon acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent. The intake of lemon juice can cure constipation. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice. Lemon juice acts as a liver tonic and helps you digest your food by helping your liver produce more bile. It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body. It is also thought to help dissolve gallstones.
• Is a Diuretic – Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it from toxins, therefore, helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
• Excellent for Skin Care – Lemon, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can participate to cure problems related to skin. Lemon is a vitamin C rich citrus fruit that enhances your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within and thus bringing a glow on your face. Daily consumption of lemon water can make a huge difference in the appearance of your skin. It acts as an anti-aging remedy and can remove wrinkles and blackheads. Lemon water if applied on the areas of burns can fade the scars. As lemon is a cooling agent, it reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
• Aids in Dental Care – Lemon water is used in dental care also. If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. The massages of lemon juice on gums can stop gum bleeding. It gives relief from bad smell and other problems related to gums.
• Cures Throat Infections – Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections, sore throat and tonsillitis as it has an antibacterial property. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
• Good for Weight Loss – One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
• Controls High Blood Pressure – Lemon water works wonders for people having heart problem, owing to its high potassium content. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as well as provides relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression.
• Assist in curing Respiratory Disorders – Lemon water assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
• Good for treating Rheumatism – Lemon is also a diuretic and hence lemon water can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
• Reduces Fever – Lemon water can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
• Acts as a blood purifier – The diseases like cholera or malaria can be treated with lemon water as it can act as a blood purifier.
• Keeps you zen – Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when your mind and body are subjected to stress, and in the lives we lead, who is not?
• Helps kick the coffee habit – Normally after a glass of warm lemon water, you don’t crave coffee in the morning. Try it yourself!
Generally, it’s the best avoid ice cold water since it can be a lot for your body to process. It takes a lot more energy to process ice cold water than it does warm water. Always use organic if possible, never bottled lemon juice. Be sure to always dilute lemon juice with water because lemon juice can be very corrosive on the enamel of your teeth.