Coconut – cashew cream, chocolate, and cherries are a match made in heaven so you better believe this black forest cake is AMAZING!!! Light clouds of coconut-cashew cream, rich chocolate cake and lots of fresh cherries make this cake a must make when cherries are at the market!
Isn’t it the cutest? Anyone can make this layer cake! It’s not just for skilled cake decorators. Although the recipe is lengthy, and there are a few different pieces you need to make before you start assembling (chocolate cake, pit cherries, coconut-cashew cream, chocolate shavings), once you’ve got them all together it’s as simple as layering once on top of the other.
If you’re a Black Forest Cake fan, I hope you try this version! And if you’re not, maybe this recipe will convert you.This Black Forest Cake is a show stopping dessert in both flavor and looks. It’s so easy to put together, and a cake that you and your guests will enjoy!Click To Tweet
As usual ➛ no-bake, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and 100% delicious. I really hope you enjoy making this recipe.
- For the crust
- 3 cup walnuts, ground into flour
- 2 cup soft dates
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 tablespoon nut milk
- For the cream and frosting
- 1+1/2 cup cashew, soaked 6 hours
- 2 cup fresh coconut meat
- 3 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon pink himlayan salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup nut milk
- For the cherry layer
- 26 fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- For the chocolate coating
- about 8 squares of your favorite dark chocolate, grated or shaved
- For the crust - Place walnuts in the food processor and process until it until it reaches a flour like consistency. Add in the remaining ingredients and process to combine.
- The easiest way to shape the cake layers is to use a 6-inch in diameter by 3-inch deep round cake pan as a guide. So, divide the cake mixture in three, and press it into a parchment paper-lined pan. Make sure the sides are even and the top is leveled. Place the cakes in the freezer for overnight to set.
- For the cream,and frosting - Soak 1+1/2 cup of cashews for 6 hours. Rinse the soaked cashews under running water. Place the soaked cashews in a high-speed blender along with the coconut meat, coconut nectar, lemon juice, coconut oil, salt, vanilla, nut milk and blend until very smooth. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and place in the refrigerator for overnight to harden.
- To assemble - Scoop out a little solid coconut oil and rub the sides and bottom of the pan. Place the first cake layer on the bottom, spread a thin layer of frosting over cake layer (about 3 heaping tablespoon). Using the frosting, pipe a rim of frosting around the edge of the cake to hold in the cherry filling. Spread about 13 halved and pitted cherries on top of the frosting. Top with the second cake layer and repeat steps. Place the final cake layer on top of the filling. Place back in the freezer for a few hours (about 5 - 6 hours) to set. Once the cakes set carefully remove from the pan.
- The cake should be completely frozen! Start decorating with frozen cake by using a turntable cake stand. Spread a small dollop of frosting on your cake board, and put your cake on the board. Place the cake on the turntable, and scoop frosting on top. By using an offset spatula spin the cake on the turntable and spread the frosting outwards creating a flat and smooth top. Then add globs of frosting to the sides of the cake and using your offset spatula or the flat side of an icing comb gently scrape the frosting into a thin layer while turning the cake.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then repeat with another, thicker layer of frosting. Add chocolate shavings. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or until ready to serve. Decorate with fresh cherries and enjoy!
THINKING OF TRYING THIS RECIPE?
As always, I absolutely would love to see and hear your feedback.
▻ Nothing makes me happier than to see recreations of my recipes made all around the world. Take a picture and share it on Instagram, be sure to tag me #deviliciouslyraw ⭒✰I can’t wait to see your amazing creations✰⭒