Happy Thursday Beautiful People! Question of the day – How do you feel about herbs in dessert?
Because I have a recipe for you ➵ beautiful pink Strawberry & Grapefruit Cake with Thyme Shortbread Crust. Grapefruit is something that may not be everyone’s favorite, but I personally love its bitter taste and unique bright, refreshing color.
Creamy, smooth grapefruit cream with some freshly squeezed lemon juice (that really enhances the thyme and grapefruit flavor) and strawberries in order to take the edge off some of that bitterness and adds a lovely complexity. And oh my gosh, that color. You could choose to substitute lemon or orange here, but ruby red grapefruit’s and strawberries makes the prettiest pink cream, don’t you think?
The thyme shortbread crust with a hint of lemon is amazing! The thyme aroma is subtle and works beautifully with the citrus flavors. You can also just use this delicious recipe for shortbread dough to make these shortbread biscuits.
Easy to make, this light, cool, deliciously tart yet subtly sweet treat is the perfect any time of the year dessert. Grapefruit recipes are excellent ways to indulge in such a unique fruit while enjoying all the health benefits they bring as well. Enjoy and soak in the vitamin C boost.The thyme shortbread crust, strawberry and grapefruit come together perfectly to make one luscious treat.Click To Tweet
As usual ➵ raw, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and very yummy. I really hope you enjoy making this recipe.
- For the Shortbread Crust
- ½ cup flax seeds, made into flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon filtered water
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- For the Strawberry&Grapefruit layer
- 1 cup strawberry, frozen
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon white chia seeds
- Shortbread - add the base ingredients to a food processor and process until it resembles fine crumbs and sticks together when pressed. Press into the base of lined 6-inch cake tin and place in the freezer.
- Strawberry&Grapefruit layer - add all the ingredients (except chia seeds) to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add 4 tablespoon chia seeds and blend together. Pour the cream over the base and let sit in the freezer (about 4-6 hours).
- Decorate with strawberries, lemon zest, thyme sprigs, slice into bars and enjoy.