Yay, it’s FRIDAY! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day and don’t forget to treat yourself to something sweet. Are you a fan of fig newtons? These bars are made with fig and mulberry jam filling – naturally sweet, flavorful and not too thick, wrapped in a delicious and nutritious crust made with almonds, flaxseeds, shredded coconut and nut milk.
The filling is simply dried figs, mulberries and banana pureed with some freshly squeezed orange juice and spiced with cinnamon. These fig bars are as good as you remember. Taste so much better actually. And while they take a little bit of planning, a few steps and time they are not hard to make at all. Easier to make than it looks. This recipe from start to finish takes less than an hour. The longest part is waiting for the bars to dry.
⭒✧ Are you ready? Here’s the recipe! ✧⭒
- ½ cup golden flax meal
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 + ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 2 tablespoon nut milk
- 14 soft, dried figs
- ¼ cup mulberries
- juice and zest of a half orange
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Blend flax seeds and almonds in a high-speed blender until you get a flour like consistency. Transfer to a food processor add remaining ingredients and process until well combined and form a nice dough. Remove from food processor, place between two large sheet of parchment paper and roll into a rectangle that’s about ¼ inch thick. Set aside while you are preparing the filling.
- To prepare the filling, combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and pulse until smooth but still slightly crunchy.
- Spoon the fig filling down the middle lengthwise, leaving room on both sides. Picking up the parchment paper on one side, carefully roll the crust to meet the other side and press lightly to seal. Then cut the rolls into 1inch pieces.
- Dehydrate at 115°F about 3- 4 hours. Halfway through the dehydrating time flip and remove dehydrator sheet. Enjoy!
And there you have it! Delicious homemade Fig Newton Bars that taste even better than the kind that comes in the package. Homemade Fig Newtons put the store-bought version to shame;) And because it’s homemade, you know exactly what’s in it. It’s filled with real, wholesome ingredients that fuel the body. Definitely a snack you can feel good about.
Show me your creations! I absolutely love seeing and it makes me so happy to see photos of my recipes made all around the world. So be sure to tag me in the pictures #deviliciouslyraw @deviliciously_raw on Instagram. I can’t wait to see your amazing creations!