Sunshine (Lemon Ice Cream) Cake – made with coconut chips, rolled oats, acai powder, coconut milk, bananas, dates, coconut nectar and plenty of lemon juice and zest for a fabulous, bright lemon flavor. Perfectly sweet, tangy and exquisitely light, bright and sunny. If you have a lemon lover in your life, this is the cake to make for them! And, it only takes 30 minutes (or less!) from start to finish.
My favorite way to eat it is to let them defrost from the freezer for 20- 30 minutes. They taste like a rich and creamy ice cream bar! They also store great in the freezer for weeks if they last that long.
Lemon and coconut combo is go very well together, they make an irresistible cake that looks delightful and tastes very fresh. Here’s how to make this simple but delicious cake.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut chips
- 6 soft dates, soaked
- 2 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 2 tablespoon acai powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk, from can refrigerated overnight and the solid cream from the top
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 very ripe bananas
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- To make the crust - place oats in the blender and blend on high until oats resemble a fine powder. Add the base ingredients to a food processor and process until it resembles fine crumbs and sticks together when pressed. Spoon mixture into a lined loaf pan (25 x 13 x 8cm) then press down with the back of a spoon. Place in the freezer.
- To make the filling - add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour the cream over the crust and place in the freezer for a few hours (about 4- 6 hours) to set. Remove from the tin, slice straight away (separate them with parchment paper so they don’t stick together) and store in an airtight container in the freezer. Allow about 30 minutes to thaw before serving. Enjoy!