These donuts are hit the spot. Grapefruit Donuts are light, citrusy and generously coated in a crunchy, orange zest infused glaze. Oh come on.! I know you need one more donut in your life today.
Raw, Vegan Grapefruit donuts made with gluten-free oats, shredded coconut, buckwheat and a decadent orange coconut butter frosting, but I think a chocolate frosting would be just as good. Totally up to you, what you’re in the mood for. You could also top the donuts with orange zest, I did for a few and it was perfect. These Grapefruit Donuts come with little to zero cleaning up and simple ingredients that are probably in your cupboard right now. Do I have your attention?
Grapefruit donuts are the perfect morning treat! Healthy, sweet and tangy, bursting with bright grapefruit and orange flavor, inside and out – oh so decadent! But if you think the flavor sounds weird, it’s totally worth a try. Think of all the citrus cakes out there – donuts are no different. Oh yes!! And the glaze is probably one of the best part of the donut … so clearly, they’re DELICIOUS. I hope you’ll love them as much as we do!
- 1+ ½ cup shredded coconuts
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup buckwheat, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 grapefruit,peeled, quartered and seeded
- 1 large orange, peeled, quartered and seeded
- zest of one large unwaxed orange
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut nectar
- 3 tbsp coconut butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Add shredded coconut, buckwheat to a high-speed blender and blend into a fine flour, set aside. Place grapefruit and orange into a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 7 equal portions and roll into small dough balls, then flatten the balls and simply press a hole through the center. Make the hole with your finger or use apple corer to creating the shape.
- Place in the dehydrator and dehydrate at 140°F for 1 hour. Decrease heat to 115°F and continue to dehydrate about 2 – 3 hours. Remove from the dehydrator and dip each donuts in the coconut butter glaze slightly half way up the sides, letting the excess to drip off. Then place them on the wire rack glaze side up. After you have dipped the donuts drizzle with orange zest. Repeat until all donuts are coated. Store in an air tight container in the fridge. Enjoy!
Grapefruit contains at least 100 % of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C, which is an important nutrient that can help support a healthy immune system. In addition, grapefruits provide a significant amount of essential nutrients such as vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber making this a healthy snack.