This super adorable and nutritious fruit cake recipe is the healthier alternative to a traditional Christmas pudding, but also very similar to the famous Larabars. Energy bars made of ground dates mixed with nuts and other flavorings (spices, dried fruits, seeds, coconut, cacao powder…) This cake can be made simply and easily with a minimum of fuss. A delightful mixture of dried fruits, spices and nuts. Full-flavored, chewy with crunchy bits, and absolutely delicious. No doubt, this cake will really fill you up, pretty much a meal itself.
Just make sure you consume in moderation, as you can have too much of a good thing. Let me explain – it contains such a high ratio of dried fruit (figs, dates, apricots, sultanas, raisins and goji berry) almost the whole cake made of dried fruits. Dried fruit is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, it is also high in antioxidants, which have numerous health benefits. However, it is also a high-carb food because they are pretty high in sugars and calories (not sugar itself), and can cause problems when eaten in excess.
Bottom line: Eat dried fruit in moderation, and buy unsulphured & organic wherever possible. Same as with many other foods, dried fruit has both good and bad aspects.
Here’s the super simple fail proof recipe
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup raisins
- ¾ cup dried apricots
- 7 dried figs
- ½ cup goji berries
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- juice of one, and the zest from half of a medium sized orange
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- *½ cup raisins
- Add walnuts and almonds to processor and pulse until chopped. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Mix all the dried fruit (except ½ cup raisins)*, spices in a food processor and process until into crumb-sized pieces (all the fruit is broken down but not a paste).
- Add the orange juice, zest, almond and walnut pieces to a food processor and process until mixture is like a sticky dough. At the end add ½ cup raisins* and pulse a few more times until it comes together.
- Remove from food processor and shape into round cake. Decorate and place in the refrigerator to set.
If you give this recipe a try, I hope you’ll enjoy these and get to share with your friends and family. When you do please make sure to share them with me too;) So don’t forget to take a picture and tag #deviliciouslyraw @deviliciously_raw on Instagram. I would love to see what you come up with!