If you love pies, apples and poppy seeds, this is for you
This healthy apple pie has all real, whole ingredients like apples, flax seeds, almond meal, shredded coconut, orange juice, dates, cinnamon, coconut oil and pure coconut nectar. It’s free of refined sugar and the only sweetener is just a tiny bit of coconut nectar, plus the natural sweetness of the apples. Decadent and totally guilt-free dessert, it also happens to be quick and easy to prepare. The food processor and blender practically does all the work. This may be my favorite raw dessert to date. It’s seriously simple and the taste is out of this world.
So today I’ll show you how to make my Apple and Poppy Seed Pie
I used honeycrisp apples because they are super crisp with a sweet and juicy flavor, but you can use almost any apple variety. I also like to use a combination of apple varieties, when possible. If you want a sweeter apple pie filling try this recipe – using mulberries, raisins, figs, orange juice and fresh apples.
Prepare your taste buds for something absolutely yumm! And yes, this healthy Apple and Poppy Seed pie is also naturally gluten free, raw and vegan. So you can totally have that extra slice;)
I won’t make you wait any longer. Here’s the recipe for the best ever apple pie
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- ½ cup golden flax seeds, made into flour
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar
- 2- 3 tbsp apple juice
- Poppy seed layer
- ⅓ cup poppy seeds, ground into powder
- ⅓ cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 cup soft dates
- 1 tbsp nut milk
- Apple layer
- 6 apples (use a sweet variety), peeled, cored and grated
- dash cinnamon
- 1- 2 tsp psyllium husk
- First, blend the single orange, dates and nut milk in a blender. You should end up with a thick syrup. If it’s too thick, add some more nut milk. Set aside.
- Grate the apples, transfer to a nut bag or fine mesh strainer and squeeze or press out as much juice as you can. Set the juice aside and transfer the grated apples into a mixing bowl.
- To make the crust place shredded coconut, flax flour, almond meal, apple juice, coconut oil and coconut nectar into a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together. Half the mixture, keep it for the lattice top.
- You will need 7" round cake tin with removable base. Evenly press the base into your pie form (oil, or line a parchment paper for easier removal). Set in a refrigerator.
- To grind poppy seeds, place poppy seeds into the high-speed blender and blend until desired consistency is reached. Occasionally stop machine and scrape the container sides with a spatula.
- In a food processor, combine grinded poppy seeds, shredded coconut and the (dates, orange, nut milk) syrup and pulse together. Pour the mixture over the base and let sit in the refrigerator while preparing the apple layer.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the apples with cinnamon and 1- 2 tsp psyllium husk (absorbs a lot of liquid) you can substitute with 1 tbsp coconut flour. You may sprinkle the apples with a small amount of coconut sugar or spices such as cloves and allspice for an extra flavor boost. Spoon onto the poppy seeds layer and press down gently.
- Roll remaining pastry, cut into 10 strips, each about ½ inch wide. Place 5 strips across filling in pie plate. Weave a cross-strip, trim ends.
- Place into a freezer for about 1 hour to set, just enough so it's easy to remove from the tin. You can also leave it to set in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
So, there you have it. This really is the best apple pie, if not the best pie ever;) I hope you give it a try! Enjoy!
don’t forget to pin it!